Friday, July 9, 2010

MUST-HAVES

There are a few things that I think you really really need in your kitchen to make cooking go smoothly. Don't get me wrong, I am a sucker for cool kitchen gadgets but they really aren't all that practical. So in addition to your basic kitchen stuff, I am going to try to narrow the must-haves down to a few essentials that will save you time and increase the quality of your dishes...

1. A good olive oil. You can find them at any grocery store.

2. At least one or two really good, really sharp kitchen knives. You can get these at Williams-Sonoma or a kitchen store. I have found some good ones that weren't too expensive at TJ Maxx but that can be hit or miss.

3. A griddle - not just a griddle pan but one that has a cord with a temperature setting. I have a Presto griddle from Target that was around $40 and I love it. This is a must-have for pancake lovers and I mean a MUST.

4. A George Foreman grill. I recommend a decent sized one that will fit at least 4 chicken breasts. Go larger or smaller depending on the number of people you typically feed. Mine has a digital timer which I think is great. Mine does not have removable plates and I promise you the next one I buy will. Make sure you have some non-stick spray for this. Store brands work just as well. I use Kroger brand or Target brand Canola Oil spray for everything.

5. An industrial quality baking sheet. I have three that I "got" from a restaurant. I have seen the exact same ones for sale at Sams. I think 2 are less than $20. You will also want a roll of parchment paper for these. You can reuse parchment sheets over and over and over. It saves you from having to clean them and from them going from shiny to dark.

6. High quality vanilla. Go to Williams-Sonoma and drop the $30 bucks on it. It will last you for years and makes a huge difference in baked goods.

No comments:

Post a Comment